Sunday, February 13, 2011

Liverpool

First of all, thank you to everyone who has been leaving messages! I love the messages keep them coming! Second, I have been missing home a lot lately. Especially that baby girl Briella that keeps growing! I wish I could come home for just a day to see everyone, but that won't work. I'm really excited to see my family that has finally set some plans in stone. They will be arriving on April 7th! I can't wait for them to get here. So, for everyone else reading, I miss you all dearly and I can't wait to see you in June!

So, on to Liverpool! To get there, we had to drive UNDER the river, which was pretty cool. Surprisingly enough, the tunnel under the river was really long and windy. I expected it to be long, but I figured it would be straight like the one on the way to VA beach. From the far side of the river we could see the coolest thing we were going to visit all day... the Anglican Cathedral. Can you say WOW! It was by far the biggest church I have ever seen! And if you think it is big from the outside, just imagine what it is like on the inside! The archetect had a saying, "Don't look at my arches, look at my space". The church is known for "The Great Space". Inside the church is pretty much all open and it was great to see. It took 75 years to complete the church and it is easy to see why when you see just how huge it is!


After the Anglican Church we went to the Roman Catholic church, which is the largest AND strangest looking Catholic church I have ever seen. It was very strange from the outside but very beautiful on the inside. It actually sort of reminded me of my home church in Balltown, St. Francis of Assisi. The stained glass was so beautiful. There are tons more pictures on my facebook so be sure to check them out.

After the churches we headed down to the Albert Dock which was made famous by The Beatles! Being in Liverpool, home of The Beatles, we had to take a tour of The Beatles Story. Had all the information you ever wanted to know about how they began, all of the great things they did together and how they broke up. We even got to walk through the yellow submarine. There was even a Starbucks at the end so for the first time since I left the states I enjoyed some Starbucks and it was amazing! There are far too many pictures from The Beatles Story to put on here so be sure to check out facebook!

After that we were free to venture around the city on our own so a few of us decided to ride the huge ferris wheel. Not quite as huge as the one in London but it still gave some great views of the city. It was especially great because you got a perfect view of the Anglican Cathedral to see how huge it really is! We then set off in search of some food and it is just crazy how so many places close down around 4! You would think on a Saturday afternoon everything would stay open longer but we had a hard time finding something that was open. We had to venture a little further than we wanted to but we eventually found a sports bar type place and had some traditional British food. A few of us had the cottage pie, which reminded me of mom's tater-top casserole, super yummy! And another got the traditional fish and chips.

Last night, after we returned from Liverpool we played a intense game of name that tune! It was so much fun and the best part was when all of us girls ended up having a dance fest to some classic Backstreet Boys! I am sure we were a pretty funny sight but it was a great time!

Now it is time for some serious homework, I have been a huge slacker when it comes to being academic since I have been here. I'm having too much fun to think about being studious ;o)

Until next time...

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment