Thursday, January 13, 2011

Adventure? You got that right!

Where to begin? Well first off I'm gonna have to make this one a bit short since I dont have a converter to charge my computer. The girl who sold me a "box" claimed there was one in there but it doesnt even have the right plug to plug into the wall and even if it did, it's only a 2-prong and I need a 3-prong. So...... we will see what happens there.

It was kind of a crazy trip over that started with lots of tears and goodbyes and then moved into delayed planes to sitting next to people who sleep thru an 8 hour flight and tell you, "your going to have to jump over me to get out of your seat because I will be asleep the whole flight" to fears of missing our bus from Manchester to Bangor because that 8 hour flight ended up being 10+ hours. But I met a lot of cool people along the way so far and I'm having a good time getting to know them. And Wales in just beautiful sitting in on the coast in the foothills of the Snowdonia Mountains!

When we finally got "here" we were given a vague idea of where our rooms where in buildings with names I have no idea how to pronounce. So I set off to find my room with everyone else heading in different directions. I soon found out a code was needed to get in the building which I did not have. So I stood there looking like a dumb American until someone felt sorry enough to let me in (haha!) . Then it was drag my luggage up to the third floor and figure out which room was mine. Found it no problem then set off for a walking tour of Bangor with our program director Tecwyn and the rest of the group. Found out i will be getting lots of exercise walking around here, they make the hills at Loras seem like ant hills around here! During the tour Tecwyn "set us free" and told us to "get lost" so a couple of us walked around and checked out all the cool shops and pubs looking for something small to eat. We found a small pub and when we asked what the soup of the day was the waitress told us but I have no idea what she said so e just said sure! It ended up being like a tomato soup and it was pretty tasty. Enjoyed that and a "Strongbow" beer.

After we came back from the tour we were given a little time to ourselves to settle into our rooms so I went to collect my "box" which was an understatement. There were 4 boxes 2 garbage bags and 2 tote bags full of "junk" and thats pretty much what most of it is.... junk! Oh well, some of it will come in handy. Then we enjoyed a nice dinner with Tecywn and the rest of the group and now I'm trying to put my mess of a room together. Took a shower (that was fun!) the shower is tiny and the whole bathroom is about the size of a normal shower but it contains a shower sink and toilet. But hey, it's mine!

Ok so it wasnt so short but hopefully I can sleep tonight and we will see what tomorrow brings!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! It does sound like an adventure. I'm sure things will get better as each day goes by and you'll do fine and meet lots of people. I wish I could come and visit you when your mom and dad come over. Take care and keep us posted with the updates. I love to hear about your adventures. Love you. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to keep us updated Amy!! I was so excited to see you'd be blogging :) Can't wait to hear more. Good luck to you and make it an experience of a lifetime! Love ya cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, Sounds like you're off to a great start you world traveler. I'm so jealous of all that you have explored at such a young age. You definitely are living your life to the fullest and I can't wait to keep reading about your experience in Wales. Make sure to send photo's when possible. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie it sounds like a very eventful first day! Just keep in mind to laugh off anything doesn't go the way you saw it going. You will have great stories in the end! Don't put your clothes on the bathroom floor!!!!! I think you've probably figured that one out now... sorry I forgot to warn you about that one. Go check with the other Americans and see if anyone has doubles of things that they want to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete