Friday, January 21, 2011

Reflection on week 1

So I have been in Wales for a full week now and it is everything I could have wished for and more! Words cannot describe what it is like here, but amazing comes close.

In the past week we arrived and got acquainted with Bangor and the surrounding areas. We have been an 2 field trips and another one to come tomorrow. I have met so many great people. All of the Americans I traveled with are amazing and so are my flat mates. Everyone is very nice and helpful.

We have done a lot of exploring and getting lost in the town of Bangor. It is a really interesting town that has everything you could possibly need with in walking distance.

The food is just OK. I expected better but maybe I'm just not ordering the right things or eating in the right places. Everything we have cooked has been really good though. I'm also found out, over all, I'm a pretty good cook when it comes to just "winging it".

Registering for classes has been a very interesting process. And they keep telling us, its not wrong it is just different. I hope classes are fun. I e-mailed my new professors to see if I needed anything special before the start of classes and they seem really nice. I am excited to meet them and get to know them.

Tonight we are planning on playing "Pub Golf" which apparently involves all the different pubs as being holes. So at each hole or pub you have a specific drink and a certain par to drink it in. Sounds interesting.... Overall, the drinks have been very good and I'm having fun trying all of the different beers and hard ciders.

It is amazing how us Americans are so obviously American. We all walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk and we speak "American" instead of "English". I never thought of it that way but that is what they keep telling us. It is amazing how confusing it can be to have a conversation with someone from the UK because we use the same words but they have different meanings. For instance, dish soap is called "washing down liquid" and they call jello-jelly and jelly is jam... so when I was referring to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich they thought I was putting jello on my sandwich.... very confusing to both sides!

I can't wait to start traveling (maybe next weekend since I will always have fridays off, but this coming week I also have thursday off). I also look forward to all the great people I have yet to meet.

Until tomorrow...

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment